Skor Cake

With the last week of Claudia’s vacation coming to an end, I decided to make my all-time personal favourite cake. Sure…cheesecake is pretty good, and nothing can truly compare to an amazing piece of red velvet. But THIS cake is simply the best (sorry but I had to quote the Queen, Tina Turner there).

My brother and I were born 2 years and 1 day apart from each other. Growing up, we often shared birthday parties.  We actually still do to this day.  The one thing that Claudia did well was although we never really had individual birthday parties, we always had our own cake. Probably because she knew I’d throw a fit if I had a Superman themed cake and my brother would be the laughing stock of his friends if he had to have a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake. But I digress…

Skor Cake is now my staple birthday cake every year from Claudia. My brother also gets Skor Cake, but his typically comes from Dairy Queen in ice cream form. Again, even in adulthood, we still need to keep our birthday cakes different. I encourage you all try Skor Cake for your birthdays. Friends – you are worth it!

You will need:

1 box Devil’s Food Cake mix (Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines work best)

Ingredients to accompany the cake mix (typically eggs, oil and water or milk)

1 tub Cool Whip

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 can/jar/tube of caramel or butterscotch sundae syrup (we prefer caramel)

4-5 Skor bars

Combine all ingredients that the box cake mix calls for and follow directions.

Here I combined all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed them for 2 minutes on medium speed.

Cake batter is my vice.

Bake cake as per the box instructions in a 9×13 inch baking pan

I baked this for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

While cake is still extremely warm, combine your whole can of condensed milk and all your caramel syrup

Again, while your cake is still hot, use the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake

Pour caramel and milk mixture over the cake and allow to soak in

I could seriously eat this cake just like this!

But we’re not done. Not even close!

Allow the cake to cool completely. As you can see, the caramel mixture slowly soaks into the cake keeping it moist and seriously delicious

When cake is completely cooled, spread Cool Whip over top

Next, top cake with broken up bits of Skor bar.

And you’re done!

Oh wait, you’re not done.

You need to try a piece of the best cake you could make for yourself…

…or a loved one

Gooey, sweet and chocolatey

This should seriously be illegal.

31 comments

1. Brenda says:

I LOVE this cake! It’s one of my all-time favourites. I haven’t had it in a while though. Thanks for reminding me that it needs to be made. It is an amazing cake!

2. Lana says:

I too had not made this cake in a while. I loved the photos I had to use a smaller pan and I hoped it would still work. THANKS.

3. Kayla says:

This cake is amazing! My sister-in law made it for my brother’s birthday and we ate the entire thing, we just couldn’t help it!

4. Christine says:

I came across this reciepe looking for a cake that combines 2 favourite things…caramel and skor chocolate…i wish i had known about it sooner :)
    I am making this cake for the first time today and really looking forward to the outcome.

5. Deanna says:

I wonder if this would work using a different flavor of cake mix…. my hubby loves Skor bars, but doesn’t really like chocolate that much. Anyone ever try?

6. Christine says:

The cake turned out AMAZINGLY…it was a big hit and everyone loved it!! Definitly holding on to this reciepe to make again!! Thanks

7. Naomi (formerly of Winnipeg. now from Edmonton) says:

Made this cake back in August for my grandsons 7th birthday. It was a big hit with him and the whole family. Just came back to check ingredients to make it again for a Grey Cup party next weekend, and had to let you (and everyone) know, that this recipe is a keeper! Yum, can’t wait for a piece of this again.

8. julie says:

I’m so glad that I founded that recipies…because is so good..my boyfriend buy for my birthday and it was so so good and hummy. thank you !

9. Cathy says:

Was looking for this recipe as it is the “go to” cake for HSC functions. I should have known I could find it here. I love this website. Thanks for sharing your deliciuos recipes.

10. Cait says:

Just made this today for my brother’s bday (he’s 34 heehee)… Made them into cupcakes – most amazing cupcakes EVER!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Claudia's Cookbook says:

Thanks for sharing Cait! I never thought to make this recipe into cupcakes! I will definitely have to try it. And you are never too old for Skor Cake :)