For as long as I can remember, Claudia has been making Layered Taco Dip. Often when I was younger and my parents were entertaining friends at our house, she would making this snack. As a child, I encouraged my parents to have their friends over more often, as it meant I would be able to consume more of this amazing dip.
These days, this dip makes an appearance during football season. Tonight is the Grey Cup, and our Winnipeg Blue Bombers are playing in it. For those who don’t follow the CFL, it’s essentially the Canadian version of the Super Bowl. There are many different versions and customizations to this dip, so please feel free to use your favourite ingredients as layers. Claudia typically keeps it simple with a few main ingredient layers like ground beef, salsa and cheese. I’ve had other variations of this dip that include black olives, refried beans and guacamole. I have found Claudia’s simplicity to this dip to be the best.
In a large pan, brown ground beef
Should look like so
Drain excess liquid and place back in pan
Add your water and 1/2 package of taco seasoning
Simmer until liquid has absorbed, about 8 minutes
Set aside to cool
Place cream cheese and sour cream into a mixing bowl
Beat until combined and creamy
Mix in 1 package of taco seasoning
Spread sour cream and cream cheese layer on the bottom of serving dish
I used a 9″ x 9″ glass pan
Add your ground beef as a second layer
Next layer on your salsa
Top with shredded cheese for your top layer
Remember to share with a big group of friends in front of the television
Be careful – it’s addicting!
Enjoy…and Go Bombers Go!
- 1.5 packages of taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 lb ground beef (we use extra lean)
- 1 cup sour cream (we used full fat, but you can easily use light or non-fat as well)
- 1-8 0z. package of cream cheese (again we use full fat, but you can use light)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large pan, brown ground beef. Drain excess liquid and place back in pan.
- Add your water and 1/2 package of taco seasoning.
- Simmer until liquid has absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place cream cheese and sour cream into a mixing bowl.
- Beat until combined and creamy.
- Mix in 1 package of taco seasoning.
- Spread sour cream and cream cheese layer on the bottom of 9" x 9" serving dish.
- Add your ground beef as a second layer.
- Next layer on your salsa.
- Top with shredded cheese for your top layer.